Instant Sambhar Mix recipe



Mysore cookbook
Who doesn't crave for hot home-cooked meal? We all do right? The most important thing in our South -  Indian menu is the Sambhar. Sometimes  you are in a hurry or you just don't want to spend much of your time in the kitchen. But the craving / necessity for a sambhar in our lunch / dinner menus,makes us spend a little more time cooking for the day. This recipe comes to the rescue at a time when we just want to speed up the process. And I can say, this is the best thing we can pack for our loved ones who stay away from home, like in hostels or those working abroad, without any family around to feed them hearty meals. Just chop a few veggies, toss it with onion and tomato, add this instant sambhar mix and boil with water for 15 mins. That's it!!  Your instant hot sambhar is ready to be enjoyed in just 20 minutes. In my further post, I will explain in detail, how to use this Sambhar mix.
This whole idea flashed in my mind when I was just leaving for my native. I gave it a try and prepared Sambhar mix. When I finally made the sambhar with the mix, believe me, this was the best Sambhar I made in the recent days. Each time I have made Sambhar out of it, not even a drop of it was leftover. So, I decide to share this recipe here. It doesn't take much time as well. To prepare the sambhar mix, just dry roast the ingredients, powder it and store. Prepare sambhar in 20 minutes whenever you wish. This gives the authentic, homemade and the cooked-by-my-mother taste. So, let's see how the recipe goes.

Ingredients :
  • Tur dal - 1/2 cup
  • Coriander seeds - 1/2 cup
  • Channa dal - 4 tsp
  • Urad dal - 2 tsp
  • Bydagi / Kashmiri red chillies - 5
  • Guntur chillies - 4  ( hot variety )
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
  • Peppercorns - 1 tsp
  • Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 2 tsps
  • Curry leaves - 10 to 15 
  • Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp 
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Tamarind - small lemon sized
  • Salt - 1 tsp



Preparing the Instant Sambhar mix :
  • In medium heat, dry roast each of the ingredients one after another. Transfer onto a plate. 








  • Allow it to cool completely.
  • In a mixer, blend all the ingredients to a fine powder. 
  • Add salt and blend once again. Transfer onto a plate.
  • Once the powder is completely cooled, transfer and store it in an airtight container. It stays fresh for more than 3 months.
    Mysore cookbook

    Mysore cookbook

Variations :
1/4 cup of Dessicated coconut can be made warm and added to the recipe.

Please feel free to give any feedbacks/ suggestions about the recipe.
Follow me on Google+ and Pinterest to get updates on newer posts. Thank you!!

Comments

Popular Posts